There is no custom code to display.

There is no custom code to display.

Woman dies following Rockmart fire

September 30, 2019–3:10 p.m.


From Polk County Coroner Tony Brazier:

Polk Co. 911 received an emergency call to a Clearwater St., Rockmart address at 2:56 a.m. this morning.

Apparently a flash explosion occurred from an Oxygen delivery device & had ignited while the victim was smoking a cigarette. The fire was quickly extinguished by the victim’s sister.

The Rockmart Fire Department, Redmond EMS & Rockmart P.D. were all on the scene within minutes.

Redmond Paramedics requested an AirLife Helicopter to a landing zone & the victim, identified as Tammie Ann Smith of Rockmart, age 60, was flown directly to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.

Doctors at Grady continued working aggressively with the victim, however, her condition steadily worsened and she was pronounced dead at 5:18 a.m. this morning from Inhalation Burns & Thermal Injuries to her upper body, according to Polk County Coroner Tony L. Brazier.

“This was a very sad, freak accident that claimed the life of 60-year-old Tammie Ann Smith. ”

One of the most dangerous things that anyone on oxygen can do is to light a cigarette or ignite anything in its presence.

Not only can it cause flash fires but in certain circumstances, it can erupt into an explosion.

Brazier asks that everyone please remember the family in your prayers.