June 20th, 2020 – 4:11 PM
Gordon County Schools –
“Gordon County Schools, in collaboration with Gordon Central High School and Sonoraville High School, is pleased to release additional details concerning graduation plans for commencement ceremonies to be held at Ratner Stadium and The Furnace.
In order to provide the safest event adhering to health and safety guidelines and recommendations, our graduation plans have been finalized with procedures meant to best serve our community and create a memorable experience for our students.
As part of the additional details, we are excited to announce that students will have the option to sit on the field (socially distanced) for the duration of graduation to watch friends walk across the stage, while the original group of 10 guests per graduate will be able to watch their individual senior walk across the stage at their appointed time.
As the guest group moves around the track, the student will join his or her family when prompted and cross the stage to graduate.
Families will be able to stand in front of the stage and take pictures, and the family will have a photograph taken with their graduate prior to exiting the stadium.
Students may then choose to exit the field with their families or can return to their seats to continue watching the ceremony.
However, families will still be required to exit the stadium and will not be allowed to congregate on the field or in the parking lots.
These logistics have been shared with seniors and their families through automated text messages, phone calls, and emails.
Seniors who did not receive this information should contact their respective high schools for details.
We appreciate everyone’s cooperation as we strive to give the Class of 2020 the most memorable graduation ceremony possible.
Realizing there is no replacement for the pomp and circumstance that traditionally accompanies a graduation ceremony, Gordon County Schools has created a plan to offer the best, safest solution for an in-person graduation experience for the Class of 2020. Understanding there are restrictions that must be followed, the plan includes the opportunity for each graduate alongside their closest family/friends to participate in a modified ceremony to receive his/her diploma. GCS requests that the community respect social distancing and constraints on gatherings that have been approved allowing us to host this graduation ceremony. (Should health and safety guidelines change prior to the ceremony, we may modify our plan to a more traditional ceremony.)
Gordon Central High School June 26, 2020 8 p.m. GCHS Stadium
Sonoraville High School June 27, 2020 9 a.m. SHS Stadium
• Modified ceremonies will begin at the times stated above. Graduates will be assigned staggered arrival times to allow for social distancing and reduce the number of people at the facility at any given time.
• The Gordon County Sheriff’s Office will provide support to ensure the safety and security of attendees and assist as accommodations are made for distancing and health guidelines.
• Graduates will be allowed to bring no more than 10 family/friends to attend with them. The graduate and his/her guests must arrive at the check-in station together to be admitted as a group at the assigned time. The group will be admitted only when all guests are with the graduate. No one may join a group after the group enters the stadium. The group must remain together for the duration of the ceremony.
• Graduates and their guests will be lined up along the track complying with social distancing between groups and advance to the stage area as each graduate’s name is called. There will be no seating as the line should continuously move forward; however, seating for those who are unable to stand or have special needs will be provided a waiting area.
• When the graduate approaches the stage on the field, the guests with that graduate will be directly in front of the stage for the presentation of that graduate’s diploma.
• After receiving the diploma, the turning of the tassel, and leaving the stage, the graduate will rejoin family/friends to exit the field and continue the celebration off campus. All groups must promptly exit the field and stadium.
• No one will be allowed to congregate on the field, in the stadium, or in the parking lots.
• Traditional ceremonial speeches will be pre-recorded and made available in the days prior to the event.
• Programs will be available digitally and suitable for printing by individuals.
• After graduation, each school will provide the graduates with a digital copy of the entire ceremony including speeches and all diploma presentations as a keepsake.
• Both ceremonies will be live streamed by each school.
Graduates will be notified by their school as to the specifics for their respective ceremonies.